Thursday, March 6, 2008

Rasam without dal!

No doubt Mysore is a wonderful place to stay and hang on....yes u also get good food at restaurants and ya comparitively at a fair price also! but it has so happened that if u ask me to come out for a food, i'll think for nearly half an hour to select the place finally choosing to stay back....may be because esp in these 4 years me and my friends have gone out so frequently that v have covered almost all hotels in mys dont feel like eating out anymore ( even then v'll not miss a chance to ask for a treat even for a succesful seminar ;) thats a diff story though ) .
When my mom was out for some function for nearly 3 days , it was my turn to try hands on cooking ! Of course it was nt a big prob for a girl like me who is handling gr8 vtu! I dunno who discovered dosa dough....but nyways a million thanks to him/her....how nicely i could manage for 2 days !!:P but 1 night badly wanted some light food ....so decided to make rasam !
Now look friends this can be a cooking tip to all of u for u may have to stay alone/with friends in PG's cutting fingers,burning hands and turning the vessel to the color of coal!!
Took a vessel with 2 glasses of water and kept for boiling....then started searching the shelf for what all ingredients i can get....got a red color powder but i didnt know if it was chilly powder or chatni pudi!!!!!!!!added both of equal quantities. it doesnt matter much as both r edible!! Then took 2 tomatoes cut into 8 halves each and added....then didnt know what to do ! I found no other ingredient which I thought could be added to rasam....ohhhh then i realised I dont have cooked dal to add!! supposed to be the main component!!!!it was too late by that time!decided nyways MY HOUSE MY WISH I cook in whatever way I want....also who eat that r MY FATHER and MY SISTER!!:P k bravely decided to continue and realised that i should add tamarind powder....may b something was working in my inner mind ( to compensate for the missing dal !)which made me to add double the amount of tamarind powder than needed! so it was swalpa huli huli ashte!!
Then added coriander leaves ,mustard seeds,cumin seeds,turmeric,hing powder all fried in oil! yes as soon as i added got a smell!some familiar smell ....was consoled that i have ended in doin something edible!then as i turned saw the salt box which was not touched till then ! k thought to add that also! dunno quantity tht should b known by trial and error method ;) thought will end here but the next moment got an idea of adding coconut! k started grating a coconut half....that was 2 much for the quantity of rasam i made but because of my laziness to keep the remaining half in refrigerator making space for it i put the whole thing to rasam !!
Yes it was ready to serve.Actually i thought to taste it before serving but didnt get that courage....thank god rice was in a good condition.My father after 2 morsels looked at me! I had my fingers crossed....he said " no prob, swalpa huli jasti kara kammi,belene kantilla? " all I could say was through a grin :D

1 comment:

damn said...

aha kathe thara vays aadhru saar madakke barala. learn frm me idiot. i'll teach u. nimmajji. do u atleast knw how to boil water??? or do u boil water without switchin the stove on kudos.